Talk about quick & easy! This recipe is ideal for those who have little time on their hands and little humans at their heels. Bonus, it is so tasty! Only one pan was used, so my husband was happy during cleanup. This recipe was inspired by a dear friend of mine and I wanted to pass it along.
It’s a perfect hearty meal for those cold nights when you need that extra warmth and comfort.
6 bone in skin on chicken thighs
1 tablespoon of olive oil
Pinch of salt (for each thigh)
½ teaspoon black pepper
2 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 pack of barley (8.8 oz)
1-2 cups of frozen peas (thawed)
- Preheat oven to 425. Season chicken with pepper and a pinch of salt
- Heat the olive oil in a large ovenproof skillet. Working in 2 separate batches, add chicken thighs, skin side down. Cook, flipping once, until chicken is browned and crisp about 6 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and repeat with remaining chicken thighs.
- Add broth then barley, stirring to submerge all the barley. Bring to a boil. Return the chicken to the skillet, skin side up. Transfer to oven and bake until chicken is cooked through and barley is tender, about 11-12 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to a plate and stir peas into barley. Return the skillet to the oven and cook until peas are tender, about 2-3 minutes.
- Serve chicken over barley and peas.